The Diocese of Phoenix is committed to providing a safe environment where we value and honor every individual as created in the image and likeness of God. Ongoing training programs in maintaining safe environments are provided for adults, children and teens.
At St. Bridget Parish, we provide the following safe environment programs:
Jump to a section
SAFE ENVIRONMENT (ADULTS)
Adults who participate in our ministries are required to be trained in The Roman Catholic Diocese of Phoenix - Policy and Procedures for the Protection of Minors.
After registering in the parish and selecting a ministry, all volunteers are required to complete the foundation class Keeping the Promise Alive. You can find a class and register online by visiting the Safe Environment Training website at phoenix.setanet.org and clicking on “Register for Classes.” Then select a foundation class at a location/time that works for you. Click on “Register.” OR you can click on the link below:
After completing your foundation class, you will be required to take a renewal class ANNUALLY. The renewal class should be taken as soon after July 1st (to coincide with the safe environment training calendar year which runs from July 1 to June 30) as possible. [FYI: A class taken PRIOR to July 1 will count for the year ending June 30.] Renewal class is taken online.
To take an online class, sign on to the website, phoenix.setanet.org. Click on “Online Renewal,” and follow the steps. OR you can click on the link below:
If you need help taking an online class, contact the Coordinator. You can make an appointment to take a class, with her help, at the parish office.
Face-to-Face Interview & Reference Checks
You will be called to schedule an interview. Reference checks are usually done after the interview.
Diocese of Phoenix – Policy & Procedures for the Protection of Minors, Revised 2018
Link can be found on phoenix.setanet.org home page. OR you can click on the link below:
Policy & Procedures for the Protection of Minors, Revised 2018 (Link Forthcoming)
Diocese of Phoenix – Guidelines for Pastoral Care of Vulnerable Adults, Implemented September 1, 2015 - Link can be found on www.dphx.org/pastoral-care/, scroll down to “Guidelines . . .” and click on “Download Now – English.” OR you can click on the link below:
SAFE ENVIRONMENT (Children – PreKindergarten thru 8th Grade)
Safe Environment education for children is incorporated into EVERY Catholic school and religious education program EVERY year. For 2017-2018, the dates are: October 18 and 25 for 6th graders, and October 18 (only) for all other grades.
This education focuses on identifying appropriate physical, emotional and spiritual boundaries. All children are reminded that they are loved and valued by God and the Church. In addition, the important message that they can talk to trusted adults if they or anyone they know are being hurt, is reinforced.
General information for parents, grade appropriate lesson plans, and a FORM WHICH MUST BE COMPLETED AND RETURNED to the Safe Environment Coordinator follow:
- Letter to Parents/Guardians of Pre-Kindergarten through 8th Grade Students
- General Information Sheet for Parents
- Choice Form: One form to be completed/returned PER CHILD
Pre-Kindergarten/Kindergarten Lesson: Guardian Angels
1st Grade Lesson: More on Guardian Angels
2nd Grade Lesson: Commandments & Sacraments
3rd Grade Lesson: Inappropriate Actions
4th Grade Lesson: Inappropriate Gifts
5th Grade Lesson: More on Inappropriate Actions/Gifts [two lessons are to be combined]
6th Grade Lessons: “Created in God’s Image for Youth” and "Good Relationships/Boundaries"
7th & 8th Grade Lesson: Relationships
SAFE ENVIRONMENT (Teens – Grades 9-12)
Safe Environment education for children is incorporated into EVERY Catholic school and religious education program EVERY year. For 2017-2018, the date for teens (grades 9-12) is Sunday, October 22.
The education focuses on identifying appropriate physical, emotional and spiritual boundaries. All children are reminded that they are loved and valued by God and the Church. In addition, the important message that they can talk to trusted adults if they or anyone they know are being hurt, is reinforced.
SAFE ENVIRONMENT (Youth Volunteers)
Minors serving in diocesan, parish or school programs (e.g., altar servers, classroom aides, greeters, ushers, lectors, EMs, music, etc.) are an important part of service within the Diocese of Phoenix.
The following are the standards for their service:
ALL MINORS must always serve with at least 2 safe environment trained adults.
Minors UNDER the age of 12:
1. Although minors under the age of 12 may serve in ministry, they are not to be placed in a position of responsibility and/or leadership.
2. Minors under the age of 12 must attend an annual age/grade appropriate safe environment educational session. (This session is incorporated into the regular faith formation program, and is described in the Safe Environment (Children -- PreKindergarten thru 8th Grade) section above.
Minors AGE 12 AND UP:
1. Minors age 12 and up serving in programs are to adhere to the Policy & Procedures for the Protection of Minors. They and their parents must complete/return a "Youth Volunteer Acknowledgement Form."
2. Minors age 12 and up serving in programs must also attend an annual age/grade appropriate safe environment educational session. If a minor serving is not enrolled in a Catholic School or religious education program, they may attend a special safe environment session for minor volunteers which usually follows the safe environment training teen class (which they are also welcome to attend) described in the Safe Environment (Teens -- Grades 9-12) section above.
During this session, teen volunteers will be made familiar with the "Interactions & Behaviors Chart" (Appendix III of the Policy & Procedures for the Protection of Minors), and the importance of telling an adult if they have reasonable belief another minor may have been abused.
"Interactions & Behaviors Chart" (Appendix II of the Policy & Procedures for the Protection of Minors) Click on the link below: